Monday, April 30, 2012


It certainly was a month for birthdays. I should know. It seems like I performed at most of them. But that's a good thing. Birthday parties are so much fun. The kids are excited, the parents are excited (but for a different reason it would seem), and I'm always excited to walk through the door and be greeted with smiles and cheery faces.  This month saw me in living rooms and hotel conference rooms around southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois-- basically my back yard!

While the kids love the show, I'm pretty sure the hit is always Max. He's a monkey. He's  a puppet. But he's OK with that! Actually, Max is a hit with everyone from the toddlers to Grandma and Grandpa. The text phrase "lol" never fit better than on Max. People really do laugh out loud at his antics. Truth be told, he's my favorite as well.

Of course the kids love getting into the act too. And that keeps things fresh for me. I get to work with different children in every show. Each one is unique and brings something new to a routine that I may have performed hundreds of times. In fact, don't tell anyone, but I've gotten some great ideas for my shows from the people that have helped me out. Funny lines; bits of schtick-- its amazing what happens when someone new comes up 'on stage' to help. Sometimes its a great comic moment that will never happen again. But every once in a while...comedy gold happens, and I find a way to make it happen in every show.

But wait! It's not just for kids anymore. I've been getting more and more calls to entertain at adult birthdays. Usually those special numbers like 40th or 50th birthday. Some folks think its funny to invite a 'birthday magician' to the party for someone a bit more mature. But that's what I do then--something more mature. I still have fun with the audience, but I get a chance to break out the sophisticated stuff (like groucho glasses -- just kidding!). My motto is Always Family Friendly, Always Good Clean Fun! So, the show isn't filled with blue material, just a lot of eye-popping, mind-bending magic and laugh-out-loud fun. Like a big kids magic show should be!

Anyways, feel free to call if you want more information about any of these shows. But try to call at least 6 weeks in advance. Weekends book up faster than most, and I hate disappointing people when they had their hearts set on a Great Scott magic show.

No comments: