Monday, June 11, 2012

You Had Me At Hello

In my last blog entry I mentioned writing about some of the great people I've met so far through the years of entertaining around Milwaukee with my various magic shows. A couple experiences that stick in my memory are actually 'firsts' in my professional magic career.

When I was 12 I took up magic as a hobby. I performed shows and liked it, but for some reason, the rest of life crowded out that hobby for a number of years. So, in 1994, I jumped back in. When I decided to start offering my services for hire, a mom in the Waukesha area invited be to perform for her son's fifth birthday.
At the time, I wasn't sure performing for children was 'my thing'. But then I knocked on Brian's door. When it opened, there stood the most excited five year old I had ever seen. Well, stood isn't actually correct. He was literally jumping up and down with excitement. His enthusiasm was beyond belief, and my arrival  was the focus of that excitement.
I really don't remember the show. Brian's mom gave me a nice testimonial, so it must have met expectations. But realizing that I had the power to bring such joy to a child, actually brought quite a bit of joy to me. That sealed the deal for me. Kids are are dynamite audience.

That reminds me of another 'first' show for kids. I'll get to that next time.

No comments: